It’s been years that I’ve been wanting to have Afternoon Tea with my daughter. When you have a daughter, it’s a must! I absolutely love different culture and experiencing the different highlights of it all. All of which is why I love traveling. What better way to experience this in the year of Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s wedding! We have quite, or had quite a few tea spots here in San Diego for Afternoon Tea. Some of which closed down. I wanted a quaint, traditional, welcoming ambiance. I’m certain there are many available in hotels, more of modern and contemporary venues, but that is not what I wanted.
The Aubrey Rose Tea Room was near 5 Star rating in reviews and the gallery of other people’s experiences took the tea cake for me. I immediately set reservations for my daughter and I and I was so excited for the day to come! Ours was a 2 hour time allotment. This would be our first time having Afternoon Tea so it made us a bit nervous. The reason I wanted to experience the English way of Afternoon Tea was the etiquette and quaint mannerisms during quality time with your some of your favorite people. We researched the proper etiquette with basics such as:
- Napkin should be on your lap, folded in half with the fold to you.
- When you stir the tea, it’s a 6-12 o’clock motion. Not in circles. This is so the sugar would be able to break down and dissolve. Spoon rests behind the cup on the saucer after stirring.
- Cream before sugar. Some say cream before or after tea? Historically, cream was put before tea to temper the cup from breaking. However, present day is unnecessary.
- No pinkies. Pinkies were used historically as back then, tea cups didn’t have handles and used for balancing.
- No leaning over to sip your tea. Oh and no blowing on your tea before sipping. You should be poised straight up in your seat. If you are at a low table, saucer and cup held to you. If at a higher table, cup to you. No cradling the cup.
- Food should be eaten delicately with bite sized sandwiches taken 2-3 bites. Scones halved then the cream and curd/jam can be placed on the scone. Some have different roots of whether cream goes first or second. I say whichever you prefer.
Perhaps some of these may no longer apply and I may be incorrect on a few. However, this is by the common majority of tea time etiquette upon my research.
When we walked in to The Aubrey Rose Tea Room, we felt so welcome. All of the hosts were nothing but friendly and welcoming. The ambiance was just as how I expected it to be. Fine China and Victoria decor. They sat us down with such a gorgeous setting! We had our beautiful placement card personalized with our names on it. We felt so lady-like and my daughter and I were ready for our quali-tea (pun intended) time.
We ordered the Lady Anne which has the 3 Tiered Tray (assorted finger sandwiches and savories, seasonal fruit and dessert scones, petite treats and sweets) and unlimited premium loose leaf tea. For the tea, we were greeted with their signature Aubrey Rose blend which has the richness of peach, mango, apple, orange and guava. My daughter then chose Once Upon A Tea which is blended notes of chocolate, vanilla, mint and rooibos. I ordered the Almond Delight which is blended notes of Moroccan almonds, marzipan and rooibos. Rich and delicately smooth and sweet. The tiered tray had amazing delicates and savories. You would be surprised how this will leave your tummy perfectly satisfied. A bit carbolicious but well worth every bite.
The hosts were very timely and very attentive. Always so kind. The check came in such a cute receipt kettle. There was a basket with free stickers, beautiful ornaments that were $0.25 and free vintage style printed postcards. You also see a variety of teas for sale so you can take your favorites home. There was a selection of hats torwards the back where larger parties are held and the decor was stunning. The ladies room was decorated just as pleasant.
Our overall take from our experience was such a delight that I was already excited to book another reservation before we were even done with our Afternoon Tea. I highly recommend The Aubrey House for any sized party for some wonderful and quaint quality time. Beautiful photos and wonderful memories will be certain when you leave. I have also vlogged so you can see this on video. Be sure to check The Aubrey Rose Tea Room!
CLICK BELOW for our vlog at The Aubrey Rose Tea Room having Afternoon Tea!
The Aubrey Rose Tea Room